Thursday, June 5, 2008

1 yr at work

Please assume this is posted on 4th June 2008 :D
So yes I finished 1yr @DELL, doing good definitely good, and definitely worth all the infringe during placements not sitting for most of the dream companies (but for 1), I got and do get all the time I needed, to finish things I always wanted to, and with a decent pay for a bachelor :).
People might complain; there are people everywhere who complain, not everyone is happy either in MS or Yahoo or Amazon or ... the high paying companies. Well my point is there are people who always complain about the work they are doing and there are people who adjust and adapt to the environment and make their work life merrier, luckily I have been one of the latter. I wouldn't call my work remarkable, but I did leave a good impression with the managers and senior lot .. so far so good.

I joined the firm when it is doing very bad and is trying to make a comeback, the first thing I got to learn is whatever you do, whoever you are, you can be kicked out without second thought if you don't place yourself properly. The first thing I saw in my work is layoff with a 10% headcount reduction and then rampup of projects retiring almost 4000 projects. In my one year I worked with 3managers on two domains Finance & Sales, the 1st manager left as a part of layoff, the 2nd team got dismantled and the projects retired and the 3rd team is about to breakup and by month end I'll be working with a new manager.I worked on 3projects, the 1st one retired, 2nd one is scheduled end of life in December and the 3rd one will retire in an yr or two.

So in such a situation people can do two things, complain there is no stability and not able to put full effort on a single project and blah blah, or learn to deal with ambiguity, learn how important is positioning in a company and learn how you can use the time you have, the domain knowledge and the resources company provides to help career progression.


So ya well the point being, I'm happy and planning to stay here for another 2years (salary is a trade off I accept to deal with). I don't think I'll be kicked off unless something drastic happens. To all my readers esp juniors (if any), the key to stay happy is to stop cribbing & work on the things you don't like.

- Too much of gyaan, end of post (no proof reading as usual)

2 comments:

Geetu said...

Congratulations!!!!....
good job :P

I'll also try to be happy at work...though i dont really have to complain about my work..its good :D

raghuvir said...

Babu!! Gyaana Koushala!! Gyaana Prabodha!! Gyaana Dash Dash!! inni nijaalu cheppi maa kallu teripinchinanduku thanks!!

The never ending post